This is a free tool to optimizes LiDAR stored in binary LAS or LAZ format (1.0 – 1.4) for better compression and spatial coherency. Especially useful prior to distributing LiDAR via data portals to lower bandwidth and storage but also to accelerate subsequent exploitation. In the default setting the tool will do the following:
- remove fluff in coordinate resolution (i.e. when all X, Y, or Z coordinates are multiples of 10, 100, or 1000).
- remove any additional padding in the LAS header or before the point block
- set nicely rounded offsets in the LAS header
- zero the contents of the user data field
- turn (sufficiently small) EVLRs into VLRs (LAS 1.4 only)
- rearrange points for better compression and spatial indexing
Options (1) through (5) can be turned off in the command line or via the GUI. For more details see the README file.